I am so fickle
Thank God I'm not like that when it comes to choosing a husband.
Shortly after I convinced myself that the Japanese company is THE ONE for me and have verbally agreed to it, I decided to call up one of the oil companies that I had earlier gone for interview with, you know, just to find out what my chances are and to let them know that I may be 'taken' very soon if they dun grab me. And guess what, they told me they have decided to offer me the job too!
So. I have only myself to blame for having what they call an "itchy backside". And this is a big fat dilemma coz both have their pros and cons.
Japanese company
Job scope sounds interesting. Managerial position with 2 staff reporting to me so it's a sensible career move. But my greatest worry is the japanese culture where you can't knock off at 5:30! Not so family-friendly I fear. And half the time I won't be able to communicate properly with my Japanese boss, which was the case during the interview.
Oil Company
Slightly higher pay. But benefits would be much better for sure. For a start they give 20 days leave! Good place to start family too. Bad thing is that it's not a managerial role, no reports, so may be seen as taking a step back in career. Another concern is that my immediate role is rather narrow and specialised, which is typical of huge companies. Of course, on the flip side, if I dun screw up big time, there'd be lots of opportunities for development, career advancement within the company. So that's a plus point.
Decisions, decisions, decisions. I hate to make decisions. You know, this is worse than choosing husband. Thank God I din have much choices at that time. Ha! Just one, in fact :) so that was easy!
My dad seemed to prefer the oil company. He said it's better if I'm not a manager. Less stress and can concentrate on family planning. Haha, ok. That's a valid point.


2 Comments:
I can imagine your dilemma. But I guess if you are planning for a child soon, the oil company may not be such a bad idea (higher pay somemore!)
hey u can take it as an opportunity to learn japanese as well :) will come in handy and it'd be more fun when traveling to japan
Post a Comment
<< Home