Is money everything?
Today was an eventful day, had 3 interviews lined up one after another, and even squeezed some time in between to send hubby's phone to the repair centre.
1st interview went quite smoothly. I got along well with the MD, who seemed like a really nice guy. My only reservation is that the organisation is pretty small, and the workplace is all the way in Tuas right next to the sea! far far away from civilisation! Not exactly the most exciting place to spend my 8 hours.
The 3rd interview I went for was the most interesting. Location is right in the heart of orchard road, and the business is something that I can identify with. On top of that, the role is interesting, as it is in fact an advancement of what I'm currently doing. Plus the company has a very well estabished global brandname too. According to the HR, the company intends to groom the person in this role to take on more responsibilities and eventually be part of the management. Sounds too good to be true right? Here comes the catch. I may have to settle for a status quo in my pay as the HR mentioned that they may not be able to meet my expectations. Well, tricky situation, isn't it? Since the only time where you can get a substantial increase in pay is when you change job or get promoted. Of course, job satisfaction and career advancement play a part as well, but these could just be empty promises isn't it? At the end of the day, don't we all work for the money? Let's get realistic.
What do you think? What would you do if you were in this situation?
In any case, before I start my worrying, I was told I'm the first candidate that they've interviewed, and they'd be seeing a few more this week. I'm sure there'd be keen competition, given the prestigious brandname of the company. So let's see how things go.


3 Comments:
maybe they are just trying to lower your expectations?? u have to e-mail me the company name. i'm curious hehe
as for me, if the job meets my other requirements like career growth, good work environment, nice coworkers then i might be willing to compromise on salary. but u might want to take the opportunity to negotiate for other things like stock options, vacation time, etc. ;) ... and make sure to hold them somehow to the management thing so it's not an empty promise!
goodluck!
I agree with Mini. If the job offers new learning apportunities and better career advancement, I would probably give it a shot(nevermind the pay for now).
thanks for the advice :)
will keep you all updated on the outcome, if any. hopefully i get the chance to see myself in this dilemma :)
Post a Comment
<< Home