Monday, June 26, 2006

Interview

Went for an interview today with an executive search firm. Apparently, they have a job on hand which fits my profile. Honestly, I think interviews are a complete waste of time. Afterall, how can the interviewer determine if you are a good employee in a short space of half an hour? It is all about acting, putting up a confident front, and answering the standard questions with a set of model answers. Most of the time, the best actor gets the job.

Take my interview as an example.

Interviewer: Tell me about yourself.
Model answer: I am a highly motivated individual who seeks to excel in everything that I do.
Confession: I am easily the laziest person on planet earth. I love to procrastinate and take short-cuts at work.

Interviewer: Why do you want to leave your current company?
Model answer: I am seeking progression in my career, and ready to undertake more challenges at work.
Confession: I need a pay-rise, dude.

Interviewer: Tell me about your current responsibilities and work scope in your current company.
Model answer: I oversee the financial planning and analysis function of my department. Responsibilities include budgeting, long-term business plans, feasibility and profitability studies.....
Confession: I surf the net most of the time, with the rescue button "alt+tab" always at my fingertips when the bosses come around.

Interviewer: What are your expertise and skills?
Model answer: I am proficient in financial modelling, accounting softwares etc. I am resourceful and good at problem solving.
Confession: The world-wide-web, msn chats, or the gmail chats, if the company firewall forbids msn. See, that shows I am good at problem solving!

Interviewer: What is your career ambition?
Model answer: To be a financial controller in 3 years' time.
Confession: To strike toto or big sweep so I can retire at 30.

Interviewer: Tell me about your latest achievement.
Model answer: I successfully developed and implemented the xxx policy for the Region...
Confession: I self-taught and successfully set up my own blog.. from scratch! *beam with pride*

3 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger mini said...

haha i love your answers!! my sentiments exactly!!

ps..is hubs back yet? i am desperately trying to download da chang jin ..but bit torrent don't have! boohoo. i guess it's better this way coz i got another cover letter to work on.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger BloatedTomato said...

haha. how do you know it's me :) guess chloe was the give-away :)

hubs coming back tomorrow morning. my last day to "bi gui" :P

You started school already? You must try and get DCJ!! trust me, you will never regret! x100 times better than the teeny bopper 18yr old bride show!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger knickknacks said...

Don't we all feel (& think) the same way? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home