Friday, June 30, 2006

Interview again.. and I was fired!

I was getting a little too enthusiatic in my job search that I started writing in to every Tom, Dick and Harry company that I see in the Recruit section of the newspapers. And true enough, I started to face the consequence of my actions as I got calls from many of these crap companies asking me to go for interviews.

One of the interviews was today. I regretted the moment I agreed to the interview. I was asked to bring along my original certificates, last drawn payslip and photograph! What the heck. Firstly, isn't it too preliminary to ask for these things? I have not even met the interviewer yet and they want to do a background check on me! Secondly, this obviously shows a lack of trust in the company.

The final straw came when I was made to sit through a test that required me to translate a full page of legal documents from Business Chinese to English. It was so ridiculous, coz I was there to interview as an accountant, not a translator! Moreover I couldn't even make out most of the chinese texts. In the end, I left the test blank, picked up my bag, and told the HR that my profession is an accountant, not a translator. And that if the job requires me to translate, then I am not a good fit. Bid her goodbye and left.

Looks like I really need to be more selective in future, and forget about the "cast the net" theory. Lest I end up in a company like this!

Btw, I am granted an interview with the no1 competitor of my current company next friday! This is like my dream employer... *nervous gulp* wish me luck.. I need lots of favour..

2 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger knickknacks said...

Good luck with the interview! Always good to venture out while you are young. (well, I presume you are under 30, right? :))

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger BloatedTomato said...

Thanks Knick! interviews are always nerve-wreaking especially for the jobs that you want badly.
Yes I'm still under 30, though not for long :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home