Friday, June 30, 2006

Durian Galore!

It is the durian season again! For two consecutive days, I ate durian for lunch. Thanks to the colleagues in my department who couldn't seem to get enough of this sinful fruit. And the timing couldn't be more perfect for the durian feasts, as the monster boss was out of town.

Although modern day agricultural techniques have made it possible to get durian all year round, it is typically during this time of the year ie June/July where you can find really good durians. And this year, there seems to be a good harvest. Coz the durians were extremely cheap and good - 4 XO durians for just $10!



Btw, do you know that although durian is a high caloric food due to the high sugar content and its creamy texture, it is actually quite healthy. It is low in saturated fats, sodium and cholestrol. Plus it is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Thiamin, Vitamin B6 and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin C.
Hey, at least I was not consuming empty calories ok!

Check out its nutritional content!

2 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger mini said...

wow your blog is very educational! i never knew that about durians hehe. it actually looks pretty healthy coz it has no trans fats or saturated fat.

erhm but don't all of you smell like durian when u get back to the office?

but die lah..now I am craving durian puffs

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger BloatedTomato said...

Not sure if you've heard this before, but the trick to prevent yourself from smelling like the fruit is to use its husk to scoop some water and wash your hands with it. I always thought it was a myth until I tried it one day, and lo and behold! Any smell on your fingers miraculously disappears! unbelievable..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home