Crabbie weekend

I can't stop thinking about the butter crabs at Mellben Seafood Restaurant since the last time I ate them. Mellben is a household name to any crab lovers in Singapore. It is a tze-cha stall at Ang Mo Kio that specialises in crabs. And truly, you'll be amazed at the variety of crab dishes they offer. In addition to the traditional chilli, black pepper and steamed crabs, they're famous for their signature claypot crab bee-hoon soup (apparently they boil tons of small crabs for many hours resulting in a heavenly and full-bodied broth that is filled with only the sweetness of crabs), as well as a wide selection including dried chilli crab, curry crab, sambal crabs, white pepper and salt crab, and of course, my all-time favourite creamy butter crabs!
So, on the pretext of celebrating my SIL's birthday, we trooped to Ang Mo Kio to da bao the 6-legged creatures. We had high hopes and once again we were not disappointed. The crabs were gigantic and whole, meat was sweet, succulent and firm to the bite. The sauce could not be more perfect, imagine the crabs deep-fried with generous portions of butter and crab roe! Yes, yes, super sinful, but I tell you it was worth every single calorie! Indeed a heavenly dish, fit for any celestial king!


6 Comments:
I've never had butter crab before!!!! Sounds damn good. Must bring me the next time I'm in SG :)
Sure sure! will bring you there when u're back :)
I've never tasted the crabs there but my friend was raving about it months ago. I probably should try it sometime too!
you should! quite affordable too, considering it's good quality crabs. but if you are going on fridays and weekend, you should try and be there either very early (b4 5:30) or late (after 9) to avoid the long wait.
there are many other nice places for crabs in SG. Have u tried "seng huat"? (spelling might be wrong). Think its somewhere in geylang. There have really nice crabs and funny snails.
hi there.
have been to seng huat quite a few times too! the crabs and the gong-gong (esp the sauce) are very good! but a bit pricy and the chef is quite dao coz they've been recommended on TV several times.
so have to bear with their bo-chap and slow service sometimes.
Post a Comment
<< Home