Re-employment
I'm officially back to the employment market! yeah!
Went for an interview last friday and got the job. It was really a God answered prayer coz everything from the pay to the workscope and the location was good. Well..perhaps only one glitch . My boss is Japanese, coz it's a Japanese company.
I was initially hesitant about going for the interview, coz you hear so many horror stories about Japanese culture. Like female staff having to wear uniform and name tags, and how latecomers are frowned upon with disdain, and female staff are discriminated and bypassed when it comes to promotion and career opportunities etc.
But surprisingly the Company turned out to be quite different from what I had imagined. Of course, the HR may be a good salesman so I can only verify the truth when I join. But overall it seems quite good based on prima facie evidence. No need to start work at 8:30am, everyone streams in at 8:45am. I looked around and no one wore uniform and name tags. What a relief! I was also told that the Company has quite a bit of European influence so it places a lot of emphasis on having a gender balance. Like making sure there is a minimum number of female staff at every level, especially managers and above. So that means good prospects for those wearing skirts!
Some other plus points:
1) They want to buy me out so I can join them in 1 month's time. That's perfect timing, coz I only have 6 weeks more in my current company and that would mean I can take a 2-3 week break in between!!
2) I get to choose a seat that is next to the window and I get a good view of the CBD.
3) I'm back in town again and can do shopping after work. Speaking of which, I think I need a complete change of wardrobe. Otherwise people will know I come from the suburbs.
4) I get to drink my Ah-kun kopi and eat toast everyday, and my favourite parklane wantan mee for lunch.
5) Can meet my old friends for lunch again. That is, if they haven't forgotten me :(
6) Get to go Japan on company's account! It's a happening place but too expensive to go on your own.
It's a good feeling to be back in town again and being part of the morning crowd, rushing from place to place in designer power suits. Have been rotting in Siberia for too long so much so that I left rather out of place the last time I stepped into the CBD.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home